5.30.2017

home made cashew milk


Have you ever tried to make your own nut milk? It's delicious and not difficult. I tried quite a few different kinds of nuts and grains but I like cashew milk the best and it's the easiest. I only make the milk for my morning coffee so I don't need much - but you could easily make more for consuming. You would not believe how delicious your own nut milk is in coffee!

Take a look at the ingredients of any nut milk you are currently using... yuk right!? gums and other things you might not want to consume. That as well as I was drinking it every day with my coffee and I couldn't stand it anymore. The only thing you have to do is remember that you need to soak your nuts overnight (oh my kids would hysterically laugh if I said that out loud). I love almond milk but it's way too difficult to do on a daily basis (you actually don't need to make it every day - I make it every OTHER day... and I think you can refrigerate for three days and it's okay). So, that brought me to walnuts, amaranth, oats, I've tried quite a few things and sometimes when I don't have enough of one I just combine a few. At any rate I have found that cashew milk is the easiest (you don't even have to strain it!) and it comes out a milky white color that looks like... well... MILK!

RECIPE
take a large ball jar and put about 1/3 cup of nuts in (you will be surprised how few nuts you need to make the milk) and just a few grains of salt - you are basically sprouting the cashews. Fill jar 3/4 with filtered water. You can also add: cinnamon or any spices you like?

Let jar sit over night on counter.
In the morning you can just throw in blender (or even better in a vitamix) and blend for a couple of minutes. You don't even really need to strain it but you can just in case there are lumps. From time to time I add some honey or agave for a bit more flavor. If you don't use it all right away refrigerate and use within 2 days.

In the wintertime when I drink hot coffee I warm up the nuts and water before I put in vitamix - I even add some coconut oil - which is super delicious! Otherwise, I make cold brew coffee with my home made cashew milk... YUM!

night time photo of cashews soaking and my cold brew coffee so I'm all set in the morning!