11.13.2015

Ikea and 100% sustainable cotton benchmark


You know I am a fan of Ikea, and one of my most vivid memories as a kid was when we went to Sweden to visit family we would make a trip to Ikea and get new duvet covers for our beds, so exciting! (ha!) This was a different time and duvet covers were not really available here in the US. I don't know how but my mom kept some of them and now my kids use them! And they still look great and very modern.

I just wanted to make my personal connection here because recently Ikea announced that they have reached their 100% sustainable cotton target. No, all of their cotton is not organic (some of it IS) but throughout the store they have reached a 100% sustainable benchmark. As of September 2015, 100 percent of the cotton the company uses for its products comes from more “sustainable sources.” Ikea is the first major international retailer to achieve this. What does this mean, well in 2010, Ikea worked with nature conservation group WWF to create the Better Cotton Initiative (BCI) with the goal “to make global cotton production better for the people who produce it, better for the environment it grows in and better for the sector’s future,” as noted on the bettercotton.org website.

for the source of this story and to get more information check in with LeSouk - their article is here

Just another reason to love Ikea!