12.07.2013

every year I get asked this question... what's the best winter jacket?

It takes me awhile to check out the market - my kids usually use their last years with the arms up to their elbows and then finally I search the market. I did that yesterday! So this is what I came up with... not bad, and the kids are thrilled!

the options from Nonchalantmom (I like to leave these for YOU!).. just a couple of pieces left and this Nico Nico version of a Moto jacket is OH so COOL! As far as a fake fur goes this Tuss jacket is smashing! both totally unisex and are fantastic for both.

Next I visit one of my favorite fashion basic options - that's Uniqlo they have kids gear on their website (not always in their stores) and their lightweight adult jackets come in kids versions as well. In our climate (Rhode Island) which is pretty darn mild (well, so far!) these are the perfect solution, and then when it gets colder they will layer a warmer jacket over this one (it's THAT thin). Plus they are only $39! what!?

my favorite: UNIQLO

this photo will give you an idea of how thin and easy these jackets are! GREAT for layering!
I always take a look to see what JCrew has - this year is decent but I wasn't crazy for things BUT if you are in a cold - very cold climate I think this jacket is just the TOPS! warm cozy and keeps your kids protected for good bunches of FUN.

JCrew
houndstooth peacoat

fleece lined flannel shirt - nice

you live in Minnesota THIS is your kids jacket! (and can be yours too!)

love this one but it's a bit expensive at $268 by Hartford (at JCrew)

this has been our girls jacket since they came out with this one.. it's just plain GREAT! we call it the sleeping bag!
Next is the delightful people at POPUPSHOP who always have the minimal-amazing solution. I think these are the greatest jackets out there this year - essentially perfect! in orange or army green.

american bobtail jacket (popover)

upstate jacket
lumber jacket - quilted canvas

all at PoPUPSHOP

For the total utilitarian I really like Polarn och Pyret (love how even when the came to amreica they stuck with there very swedish name!) These guys are virtually indestructible and don't cost much. They have reflective tape (sweden is very dark in the wintertime) so safety first! and I have to put a word in for their snowpants, there are none better than these snowpants! I promise!

this can get you started but there is MORE! notice the layering..
shop PoLARN O. PYRET here when I am in Sweden I still have to check out this store (even though it's here now) because I love their basics and jammies etc... (basic stripes are amazing!)

stay warm this winter!!