11.17.2013

the NonchalantDad: 'My Kid Could've Done That!'

by visiting blogger NonchalandDad

I'm sure you've heard it. Or, you've said it at some time yourself while visiting a museum or gallery. I know I've heard it a few times over the years. Usually, it's whispered - but at times it can be said in disbelief. And, occasionally you wouldn't be wrong. In all my years in this art business, I think I've even agreed with it here and there. In our home, with our modest collection of art on the walls, we have even put that notion into practice by having some of our children's art works hanging alongside accomplished artists. As far as I know, to date, nobody has yet commented on our children's art works as they move around our house by saying: 'My kid could've done that!' So far, so good then!

I've often thought about it. In fact, when I've curated a show of art in the past I thought I might even mischievously insert one of my kid's paintings into it. I thought I could just easily explain it away to anyone who might enquire that it was some obscure German artist from the 1930's or something. But, I never carried that plan out. Now, while having a look around on the internet, someone else seems to have come up with the same idea to an extent. They have shared images of the famous of art history alongside images created by toddlers. The test is to see if you can actually tell the difference between something a child has created (the amateur) and something a famous figure from art history (the professional) has produced. I thought it would be an easy test for me, since I spend a good deal of time looking at art and I'm a bit of a history junkie. Nonetheless, I was caught out a few times not being able to tell the difference ... and maybe that's the point. After all, wasn't it Picasso who said: "As a child, I drew like Raphael. But, it has taken me a lifetime to draw like a child."

See if you can tell the difference - the answers are at the bottom ... as if you needed to be told. And remember after all, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. 


#1

#2

#3

#4

#5

#6

#7

#8

#9

#10


(** numbers one, six, eight, and ten, in that order, are all created by toddlers)

So, how did YOU do?