1.09.2013

Schoolhouse Rock is 40!


I don't know about you but I would know NOTHING were it not for Schoolhouse Rock! I can still sing all the songs (I had the record). Since it is the 40th Birthday of Schoolhouse Rock NPR spoke with Bob Dorough - who is the voice of almost all of the songs. It was fantastic to hear his voice again and listen to the story... "There I was in New York City, just trying to make a living," Dorough tells NPR's Rachel Martin. "My jazz work was a little slow, and I was dabbling in advertising music, just to make ends meet. By then I was married and had a daughter, and so I needed that bread."
That's when his boss came to him with a problem: "My sons cannot memorize their times tables — yet they sing along with Jimi Hendrix and the Rolling Stones, and they get their words," Dorough recalls being told. So off he went to put together first the times table song "multiplication rock"!

I don't know about you but when I think about a bill being passed.. there is always that song in my head!

It's a great walk down memory lane... and I need to get that record for my kids!

listen on NPR here