1.02.2013

recipe :: cardamom cake!

This year while my mom was here on a visit she made this cardamom cake that we all went crazy over! (among other things like her cookies and more cakes... she's the best baker in the whole WORLD!) My mom always has new things up her sleeve but this cake... WOW! and SO easy, we made it again and again over the holiday break! The recipe is from the Swedish Cakes and Cookies cookbook - it's the most simple yet fantastic baking book of Swedish cookies and sweets.

This isn't the best photo I have ever taken but you can bet it was GONE in a second so I had to take what I could get!


The recipe made about one and half cakes for me... I know they say one cake in the recipe but I made a round cake + a loaf shape cake with this single recipe (mom taught me that...). There are so many cardamom recipes in this book, so if you get the book this recipe is on page 34. A few words about the cardamom, I don't like to use the ground cardamom. It's much fresher and better if you take the seeds out of the pods and grind them with a mortar and pestle (yes you finally get to use this wonderful thing!) - it takes awhile but it's SO much better!

CARDAMOM CAKE
oven temp: 350 degrees F

1 scant cup stick butter
2 eggs
1 1/4 cup sugar (I used less)
3 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
2 1/2 teaspoons ground cardamom
1 1/4 cups milk

garnish:
pearl sugar + coarsely chopped almonds

grease 10in round cake pan (+ I also used a loaf pan! - I also just lined mine with parchment paper)

melt butter and let cool
beat eggs and sugar until light yellow and very thick (take your time and make sure it's thick... about 3-5 minutes)
add the flour, baking powder, cardamom, milk and melted butter, mixing until combined.
pour into prepared pan(s) and sprinkle with pearl sugar and almonds.
bake on a low oven rack for around 1 hour. Remove from pan and cool completely.

I served it with some whip cream that I whipped together with mascarpone (it makes it more dense and not so sweet) - but it's equally delicious alone!!