3.17.2012

New York City - Playtime childrens trade show

entrance to Mondrian NYC (isn't it pretty!)

The trade shows at this time of year are always a special challenge for our family, and each time we do it I realize that you can't plan this stuff out too much -- just let it happen and hope for the best, a rule I like to live by whenever I can. I attend the kids trade shows Playtime and ENK Childrens Club (we are looking at next Fall so if you have any requests.. bring them on... and send me an email!) and my husband  attends the Art shows - an this particular time he was chosen to be a part of Volta, a curated group of artists that runs together with the Armory show. Every year these shows, somehow, run at the SAME TIME.. so there we are in NYC with the kids in tow (because we have no family that lives nearby) to work intensely AND hang out with the kids... AND it's our sons birthday - yowza!

hotel room - NYC small, but terrific view and VERY quiet!

We got a fancy hotel room, because 1) I can't sleep at my friends apartment anymore because I am used to the peace and quiet now.. and 2) both my husband and myself had so much work to do that I wanted to keep the kids occupied by staying in a 'fancy' place! (it WORKED...) and 3) it may not have been my sons favorite birthday idea but it certainly was mine!

don't yell at me.. they are only riding them inside for the photo-op.. NEVER scooter inside! ;)
Playtime - kids trade show in NYC (& Paris)

The only thing I did have planned was a babysitter for one of the days, I have an amazing NYC babysitter and I feel lucky to know her! The kids were SUPER excited to have a sitter (why? I don't know..) and they went off to Moomah, and Pier 25 (with the Lucky Wang crew!) and had a great day while I got down to work at 'Playtime'! (My husband was schmoozing at the Art shows...)

a quiet morning at the show but things picked up quickly in the afternoon

Jann always has a happy booth!

the beautiful Sue Tsai of nico nico!

Playtime exhibition

the teeming halls in the afternoon

atsuyo et akiko busy like the stock exchange!
I'm not showing you too much because I don't want to give away anybodies secrets! But obviously you will be seeing more of these guys at Nonchalantmom! After a busy day or writing orders.. (all day long!) We came home to Mondrian and how could we pass up a beautiful dinner in their Completely lovely Dining room.. the Imperial No. Nine. The food was amazing, the decor... really the most elegant room in Manhattan (in my humble opinion), and the staff was sweet and nice (even to kids)

Imperial No. Nine - dining at Mondrian Hotel

super beautiful bar... why do I feel like Martha Stewart had a hand in it.. that's her color isn't it!?

We had dinner from early evening into sort of late at night (well for the kids that is...) Both my kids are in LOVE with Jann's daughter so they have such a good time whatever they do... there was of course a bit of lego action at the table (Bringing up Bébé - wouldn't approve!) but I think that we take our kids out often enough that they know how to behave by now and well, it helps that there is a swing outside! (don't tell them I told you about that!)

terrace at Mondrian - scooters w/baby baggu bags (I sell them!!)

The view from the top of the Mondrian! we heard that in the summertime they do Mondrian Mondays up there!
Mila and Franny

some kind of giant banana split contraption for sanders birthday (loved it!)

and the ladies got to have a few drinks (we were so tired we only had one... but we tried!)

When we hustle around the streets of Manhattan I use scooters (razors) for the kids, they never get tired, from time to time you need to remind them it's not a racetrack (but the bumpy uneven streets of Soho help you with that!) - I strap a baby Baggu bag out front for whatever then need (hat, mittens, legoss...) and they are set for the day! Oh maybe a quick trip in the morning to KidRobot sets them straight - it's amazing how a little $3.95 toy can be so delightful.


Somehow staying at the Mondrian made this the most delightful trip I have had to NYC in a LONG time - it was a combination of a sincerely sweet staff (the note in our room for happy birthday to Sander signed by all the staff with cookies was REALLY the top of the cake!), probably the BEST location possible - completely groovy shopping; DeVera, Jil Sander, Opening Ceremony... which if it doesn't turn you on at least its fun to look at (just the people standing outside will make you stare and wonder!) and don't you DARE go to Starbucks when you have Saturdays Surf NYC nearby!


When we left the hotel for some reason... I don't know why, I actually gave the doorman a hug (and it wasn't because he got me a cap at 4pm.. it was because I thought they were SO darn nice to my kids! Then it was off to Grand Central Station - we took the Metro North in so that we could come into Grand Central and the kids just about fell over when they saw it for the first time! it was FANTASTIC!




Next time you are in NYC give Mondrian a try and tell them Nonchalantmom sent you... (I 'think' they like us...??)

Hotel Mondrian