10.17.2011

recipe: squash soup


I think that everyone has their own recipe for squash soup and I could have sworn that I already made a post of this recipe and was surprised to find out that I have not... It's my favorite and I have been making it for years to raves by everyone! (even my MOM!). During pregnancy many women have trouble with Anemia, even if they have never had issues in their life. I think it's also because of the constant monitoring of your vitals during pregnancy that it is detected more, if you are feeling sluggish and tired (sound familiar), you could just have the early signs of Anemia (or you could be just on the edge). At any rate, if you add adzuki beans and kombu (seaweed) to this recipe it can be a great healing dish for Anemia - click here for previous post on my blog about Anemia during pregnancy and full recipe.

kobacha squash

I use Kobacha squash, this squash is used frequently in Macrobiotics, it has lot's of flavor and it is rich in beta carotene, iron, vitamin C, potassium, calcium, folic acid and lesser amounts of B vitamins. The skin of the fully matured kobacha squash makes it almost like peeling a rock, so take care when doing this -- it's certainly a hefty arm workout! (if it's not that hard, it's possible it is not yet ripe - Kobacha squash takes three months to ripen off the vine) - but I promise you, this squash is worth it!!

You can also make this entire recipe in a pressure cooker, it comes out even more delicious and it's easier because you don't have to peel it, the skin get's really tender when in the pressure cooker. Pressure cooker details at bottom of recipe.



CARINAS SQUASH SOUP
1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion chopped
1 small/medium size kobacha squash - peeled and cubed
sage - I use about a stem of fresh sage but you can also use dried sage
1 32 oz chicken stock or water (or even half and half)
1 tbsp tamari or shoyu (maybe a bit less...)

saute onions in olive oil (I use a La Creuset 2 quart Dutch oven type thing) - add the cubed kobacha squash and saute for a bit, chop up sage and add it to your saute - maybe 10 minutes or so... heat up chicken stock (just so that you are not starting over cold) or water and tamari and cook for about 30 - 40 minutes until the squash gets tender. I use a hand blender or you can use a blender to puree to the consistency you like and viola! you are done! it's super simple and amazing.

I like to serve it with roasted pumpkin seeds (roast a couple of handfuls in a cast iron pan) or make your own croutons.. kids LOVE homemade croutons! If you want it to be more of a meal and heartier I really like it with a bit of brown rice thrown in! It also makes a great pasta sauce! maybe even on pizza?!

pressure cooker:
saute green onions instead of onions... I don't know why but in the pressure cooker these taste better! in the pressure cooker on medium heat, wash the outside of the squash (and clean out seeds obviously), get all the dirt off and cut into slices (this is SO much easier than peeling a kobacha squash). Use less sage in the pressure cooker as flavors become more intense. Fill water up to the line (you may not fit all the squash in a pressure cooker) and add tamari or shoyu (again, less) - put lid on and cook at high pressure for about 10 minutes - buzz with a hand blender an you are DONE.. it's SO easy this way!!!