2.18.2011

almost forgot to talk about cold season!


Somehow I almost forgot to talk about cold and flu this year... we have had no sign of anything in our family, knock on wood! But I think it's because we take very simple precautions. To some of you this may sound elaborate but really it just takes a few minutes at the end of the day and has been working well for us so far. I am also testing out a couple of new things that I feel have been a big help this year, the first is Thieves oil and second is an aromatherapy treatment. So here we go, our nightly regime is:

kids cold and flu aromatherapy treatment

1) shower or bath - if its a bath we but about 1/3 - 1/2 a cup of salt in the bathtub (no soap) and I try to let them soak in there for awhile. If someone is complaining about feeling sick, they go straight in to the salt water bath, it's my first remedy.

2) gargle with salt water (every night before bed) - add about a teaspoon of salt to warm water and have them gargle three times. then they just dip their fingers into the cup and wash out the inside of their nose.


3) Dr. Hauschka berberis nose balm - I think that this cream is just fantastic! we use it when we travel, when something is going around at school and just when you have the feeling you might be coming down with something... and it works every time! I think it great because you can use it as a guard against cold and flu germs when traveling, the berberis is a natural antiseptic and helps to kill anything that is entering the nasal passage. It is also a great everyday cream, it's soothing and natural enough to use every day.


If I feel that something may be coming on I use either Thieves oil or kids cold and flu aromatherapy to guard against anything coming at us. My sister found out about thieves oil last year and I have been testing it out on myself this last year, when I feel something coming on or I am going to be at the kids school for any reason I use the thieves oil to help guard against cold and flu. You can find out more about it, and also buy, thieves oil by clicking here - please let me know if you have good results!

i love aromatherapy treatment
thieves oil
Dr. Hauschka berberis nose cream

click here to see my previous post on cold and flu season