11.05.2010

broccoli & sausge pasta :: fast and easy!

This is one of those dishes that you can throw together in minutes, EVERBODY loves it, and it's got a bit of some good healthyness to it.. thank you broccoli! You can also use kale in place of the broccoli, really good too!

I like to go outside and pick bunches from most of my herbs, oregano, sage & rosemary and then I use chopped parsley when I am done too. We put parsley on just about everything! I learned that from my mom, she used to garnish everything with it but I like to actually eat it! It's amazingly good for you and if you add it into everything it makes it all taste better and eventually everyone gets used to it if they don't like it right off the bat.


RECIPE :: broccoli & sausage pasta

1 head or more of broccoli (even two is great!)
2 sausages - you can use pork, chicken, tofu... whatever just squeeze it out of the casing
1/2 yellow onion chopped
handful oregano chopped
handful sage chopped
handful rosemary chopped
salt & pepper
really good olive oil (I use one to cook and then a good one to top off the meal when its ready)
handful of parsley

pasta: you can see in the photos that one time I used papardelle which is great with sausage, or also penne or whatever works too! (I forgot to take a photo of the final meal so I made it again another night, no complaints there!)

-cook pasta as per directions on box
-saute onion, sausage, herbs in your favorite oil (I use sesame or olive)
-when pasta is done, save a cup of the water (if anything its good luck!) and strain pasta and put into the saute when the meat is done, add salt and pepper and saute a bit if you need more liquid use the pasta water.. this is what it's for! and toss around making sure you get all of the goodness from the pan onto your pasta! do this for about 1-2 minutes.
-top off with about 1-2 tablespoons of really good olive oil and toss (if you need more water you can add it too, it should not be dry)
-put into serving bowls or large pasta serving bowl and garnish with chopped parsley

easy and did I mention really CHEAP, this meal can cost you about $8!!
everyone will love it! and if they don't their crazy!