6.22.2010

crazy cake - guest blog: Jennie Menke


Many of you may remember my friend Jennie Menke, she was going to guest blog and then she fell into the snaffoo of being a soccer mom, well she happens to coach the whole league so I would call that Super Soccer Coach Mom! (capitalized). Unbeknownst to her I am posting her funny crazy cake recipe, just because it's that time of year, your kids are just out of school and have yet to figure out how to play by themselves again without a teacher shuttling them through each move of the day...

On Charlie’s First Official Day of Summer Vacation

And…

He’s already bored. So I told him to go make a cake. Oddly enough, he seemed to take me seriously, so I rooted around in my recipe box for my Crazy Cake recipe. I wonder if I am the only one who remembers this cake fondly? Is it popular? Does anyone still make it?

My mom made it a lot when I was a kid. Then, in 8th grade Home Ec class with Mrs. Kahnne, we made it at school. Remember Home Ec? Oh my gosh, what a lot of who-ha to make a pot of macaroni and cheese. I think the lead up to actual cooking took 75% of the quarter. I remember it being painful. I also remember the teacher said “measure” like “may-zure,” which I thought was distracting. I could remember nothing else after she said it, as the word replayed in a loop in my head. I wondered things like:

  • Maybe she grew up with her mom pronouncing it that way…
  • Why doesn’t she just roll over and say it the way everyone else says it?
  • Does she think she sounds sophisticated?

Then along came Martha Stewart pronouncing the “H” in “herb” and I thought the same things all over again.

Anyway, this cake takes about 10 minutes to prepare and 40 minutes to bake. I am not a huge chocolate person, and I find it just perfect. I have heard of die-hard choco-manics adding tons more chocolate chips or — horrors! — frosting it. Yuck!

Crazy Cake
  • 3 c flour
  • 2 c sugar
  • 1 t salt
  • 2 t soda
  • 1/3 unsweetened cocoa
  • 1 t vanilla
  • 3/4 vegetable or canola oil
  • 2 T vinegar
  • 1 cup (or to taste) chocolate chips (I use milk chocolate)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Sift together flour, sugar, salt, soda and cocoa into an ungreased 9 x 13 pan.


make three holes in the mixture.


Pour 1 teaspoon vanilla into one of the small holes. Pour 2 T vinegar into the other small one. Pour 3/4 cup oil into the large one.


Then, pour 2 cups water over the entire mixture and gently blend well with a fork until flour is all blended. Just remember to be gentle.


Sprinkle with desired amount of chocolate chips.

Bake at 350 degrees for 40-50 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean (avoid chocolate chips!)


eat...

eat....

visit Jennies blog by clicking here for more of her great humor, gardening and great meatless monday recipes!

Thank you Jennie!