9.24.2009

Raising Children: Another Opinion

I came upon this article/interview in the UK paper the Guardian. The interview is with the psychologist Aric Sigman, author of The Spoilt Generation. Aric Sigman believes that we are indulging our children just a little to much and it's time to regain control of ourselves as parents and set clear boundaries. You can read the article here. At the bottom, as a little extra treat you can also have a summary of some of parenting's gurus over the last several years, just in case you find a theory you like and would like to find out more about. Then, if you scroll even further down you can see one of the many comments on the theory Aric Sigman believes to be the right course of action. Personally, some of what Dr Sigman suggests I can agree with. There are many distractions available for children now that can easily take over and raise your children for you if you don't stay on top of things. But, I also find some of what he says to be a bit narrow too - like mother's returning to a domestic routine. I've covered some of the issues he speaks of in some previous posts, like discipline. I thought I'd share it with you - as I've said before, there are many approaches, many ideas. Feel free to share your comments...