3.04.2009

JANN'S (Lucky Fish) SOUTH AFRICA


Every year Jann and her family take a trip to her home of South Africa to visit family, friends (she has so many friends there!) and to relax and decompress from her busy life in Brooklyn, New York. Jann is the creator, founder... she IS Lucky Fish, and over the years she has become a friend that gives me inspiration creatively and we also have dreams of working together at some point (I promise you we will one of these days!). Jann has a way of going about her business that is very Nonchalant, and I love that about her AND I really respect that because if she let everything go to her head... well let me give you an example, and you may know this if you buy her amazing t-shirts from Nonchalant Mom--I always have to prepare myself for her collection to hit the website because people go crazy! I have to admit, I go crazy a bit too... I think it's about ten years now that I have been wearing her t-shirts myself, and I always feel super cool when I wear them and there is really no need for anything else.


So back to South Africa, Jann has been lovely enough to share her travelling tips for Capetown! These travel ideas come straight from the heart so I hope that anyone traveling will take her advice and really see the beauty that South Africa has to offer, I know that we will be going soon! I hope you feel the same way!


here are some things I like to do in capetown:

1.walk up lions head at sunset--preferably full moon.Go early enough to go down when sunsets. (picture above of lions head)
2.Sea point pavilion.salt water pool
3.st. james salt water pools
4.swim at muizenberg on a rainy day or a sunny day. fun bodysurfing.
5.kirstenbosch.
6.hike up table mountain from kirstenbosch

7.sunset at CLIFTON BEACH
8.BIRDS cafe for breakfast/lunch in town
9.eat snoek
10.eat a salomi and samosas at zerenas on loop street in town.
11.top of long street--near buiten street--little coffee shops and stores. bars/nightlife.
12.walk down long street to church street in town--Afro cafe for brunch--fun on saturday am pass by good south african bookstore KLARKS 211 long street.
13.walk along ocean from sea point to waterfront
14.walk along ocean path from muizenberg to Kalk bay. brunch /lunch at Cafe Olympia in Kalk BAY--cute vintagy stores also.
15.drive around to cape point.from Camps bay
16.go to clifton beach(4th) if its windy
17.robben island
18.Indian food--dinner at BAKARA 0 on church street (upstairs)
19.stroll throught the gardens

20.up the west coast to Paternosta,dinner on the beach at the restaurant there (Jann pictured here at Parernosta, wearing Matta--soon to arrive at NCM)
21.eat crayfish, (lobster) eat oysters.
22.drink wine
22.sunset at bakoven Rocks.covey local uncrowded beach.
23.walk along camps bay beach
24.world of birds in Hout Bay
25.penguins at Boulders--good for a swim too!
26.Colonial cocktails at the mount nelson in the garden or the bar. Have a pims for me!
27.eat biltong
28.stay safe
29.have fun
30.drum Cafe (if you are into that) I've never been!

31.Deerpark Cafe---a restaurant with a private playground (big one ) for the kids to run around in while you enjoy your meal... swings/slides/seesaw/roundabout and big lawn and an awesome view of the mountain...

32.Design Indaba--around the end of feb--showcases best of south african design and crafts--fun, interesting and good shopping too. Hosts a great design conference (international.) (above photo of Fabric Nation, printed fabric collaboration between Jann and her friend Jane)

from Jann