3.19.2009

black beans for your ovaries


I first heard of this recipe through a friend who was wanting to conceive and was having trouble, this is not a fertility answer but rather a soothing and healing food for ovaries. There is constant talk about various fertility 'drugs' and I feel that it's really important in some cases to prepare your ovaries, take good care, and this recipe for black beans can help, doesn't that just make sense. Whenever black beans are offered as a choice in restaurants, etc. I always choose them for this reason. But this recipe works in a special way, I also think that if you have had problems like a miscarriage or abortion your ovaries need special care and this recipe can be good to use as well.

You should cook this recipe about 4-5 days prior to having your period, and then eat them each day (they last about 4-5 days if you keep them refrigerated) with one of your meals for the day. They are actually really delicious and I love them!

BLACK BEANS FOR YOUR OVARIES
wash and soak one cup black beans with a large piece of Kombu seaweed overnight.

toss out the water and start with new water, cover beans with two inches of water in a medium sauce pan with lid (include kombu).
add 1/2 cup of dried Daikon (you can buy it from the Kushi store online or at Whole Foods or your local co-op)
add a couple of dashes of tamari or shoyu for flavor
cook covered for approx. 1-2 hours

You can also cook beans in a pressure cooker, but I remember that when I lived in New York City, a macrobiotic friend told me not to use it because there was already too much pressure in New York City. I think that beans cooked in a pressure cooker taste better so use your normal time when cooking, I think when your cooker comes up to pressure it's about 15-20 minutes.

If you have trouble finding any of the ingredients (I always get those emails) you can usually find anything for my recipes from the Kushi Store click here.